Computer software engineers apply the principles of computer science and mathematical analysis to the design, development, testing, and evaluation of the software and systems that make computers work. The tasks performed by these workers evolve quickly, reflecting new areas of specialization or changes in technology, as well as the preferences and practices of employers. (A separate section on computer hardware engineers appears in the engineers section of the Handbook.) Software engineers can be involved in the design and development of many types of software, including computer games, word processing and business applications, operating systems and network distribution, and compilers, which convert programs to machine language for execution on a computer. Computer software engineers begin by analyzing users' needs, and then design, test, and develop software to meet those needs. During this process they create the detailed sets of instructions, called algorithms, that tell the computer what to do. They also may be responsible for converting these instructions into a computer language, a process called programming or coding, but this usually is the responsibility of computer programmers. (A separate section on computer programmers appears elsewhere in the Handbook.) Computer software engineers must be experts in operating systems and middleware to ensure that the underlying systems will work properly.
Computer applications software engineers analyze users' needs and design, construct, and maintain general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. These workers use different programming languages, depending on the purpose of the program. The programming languages most often used are C, C++, and Java, with FORTRAN and COBOL used less commonly. Some software engineers develop both packaged systems and systems software or create customized applications. Computer systems software engineers coordinate the construction, maintenance, and expansion of an organization's computer systems. Working with the organization, they coordinate each department's computer needs-ordering, inventory, billing, and payroll recordkeeping, for example-and make suggestions about its technical direction. They also might set up the organization's intranets-networks that link computers within the organization and ease communication among various departments. Systems software engineers also work for companies that configure, implement, and install the computer systems of other organizations. These workers may be members of the marketing or sales staff, serving as the primary technical resource for sales workers. They also may help with sales and provide customers with technical support. Since the selling of complex computer systems often requires substantial customization to meet the needs of the purchaser, software engineers help to identify and explain needed changes. In addition, systems software engineers are responsible for ensuring security across the systems they are configuring.
ABOUT THE CSE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering acts as the nurturing ground for young professionals who can make their mark and to create a talent pool for various industries. The basic aim of the department is to advance, evolve and enhance computer science and software engineering fundamentals to build the intellectuals capital of research and students. The department focuses on the study of theoretical foundation of information and computation and of practical techniques for their implementations and opportunity in computer science. This department in GIET has qualified faculty members along with a well equipped laboratories
The department has a well equipped state-of-the-art computer system connected to a networking environment with servers consisting of Windows and Linux operating systems.
The research and development scope of the department is enormous. Students undertake lots of course oriented projects under the guidance of qualified faculty members.
The CSE Dept. prepares the students to pursue leadership, technical and management positions in a variety of Industries.
MISSION AND VISION
The Computer Science Department is committed to continually improve its educational environment in order to develop graduates with the strong academic and technical backgrounds needed to achieve distinction in the discipline. Build a strong research and teaching environment that responds swiftly to the challenges of the 21st century. The Computer Science Department seeks to become a competitive doctoral-granting department and to expand its depth and breadth in the research and study of applied computing. We leverage the interdisciplinary nature of computing to provide innovative educational and research opportunities in a beautiful mountain setting.
- Encourage students to become self-motivated, problem solving individuals who can find and understand the knowledge needed to be successful in the profession.
- Provide intellectual inputs to knowledge-based industries in the form of qualified and trained manpower.
- To attain self-sustainability and overall development through Research, Consultancy and Development Activities.
- To produce best quality Computer Science Professionals by imparting quality training, hands on experience and value education.
- To pursue creative research and new technologies in Computer Science and Engineering and across disciplines in order to serve the needs of industry, government, society, and the scientific community.
- Providing an environment in which students are given the essential resources to address, research and solve real-world problems, participating in interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research and its applications.
OBJECTIVE AND GOAL
Upon successful completion of a major in computer and information sciences, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in problem-solving techniques using the computer
- Demonstrate proficiency in at least two high-level programming languages and two operating systems
- Demonstrate proficiency in the analysis of complex problems and the synthesis of solutions to those problems
- Demonstrate comprehension of modern software engineering principles
- Demonstrate a breadth and depth of knowledge in the discipline of computer science
The goals of the Computer Science & Engineering department are to prepare students for graduate training in some specialized area of computer science, to prepare students for jobs in industry, business or government, and to provide support courses for students in engineering, mathematics and other fields requiring computing skills.
As technology develops in leaps and bounds, the opportunities for expanding the field of computing grow even more rapidly. The Computer Science & Engineering Course gives a sound grounding in the fundamentals of computing and an understanding of the underlying engineering principles to enable the students in developing their ability towards analyzing, designing and implementing complex systems and place themselves in greater heights in the changing scenario of the industries.
The key strengths of the department are as follows:
- Well qualified and experienced faculty.
- Well equipped and modern laboratories.
- Most of the faculty members presented & published papers at several reputed National, International conferences and journals.
- Excellent teaching learning environment.
- Department is working on outcome base teaching-learning process.
- Department has good number of Placement record.
- Department organizes Soft Skill & Technical Skill development programs for students in coordination with T&P Department.
- Summer Internship in Industries is provided to student by Department.
- Department provides collaborative interaction of students with Industry Experts.
- Department organizes Conferences, workshops and short term courses for knowledge uplift of faculties and students.
Prof.(Dr.) Anil Kumar Mishra
Welcome to the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Gandhi Institute for Education & Technology Bhubaneswar (The Temple City of India) of ODISHA state, India. As you find your way through our website I would like to inform you that department consists of faculty, staff and students committed to excellence and success. Department offers Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Computer Science and Engineering under BijuPattnaik University of Technology, Rourkela. Moreover faculty members provide their guidance leading to Ph.D degrees in Computer Science and Engineering under different university systems. Careers in computer science and engineering remain in very high demand and offer not only the comforts of a high-paying job, but also the intellectual challenges of a creative and productive profession.
Since 2009, the department is consistently striving hard to offer a high quality, state-of-the-art education in computer science and engineering at an affordable cost. We are especially proud of the long and sustained placement records of our Bachelor and Masters students in different multinational software industries and higher education at different top-class universities.
We hope this website will provide you a useful aid to become familiar with the department. We are confident that you will enjoy the challenges and rewards of our Bachelors Program in Computer Science and Engineering at Gandhi Institute for Education & Technology under Biju Pattnaik University of Technology (BPUT), Rourkela.
Happy journey to GIET, Bhubaneswar.
The department offers an excellent blend of research and practice oriented academic programmes. The programme aims to enable the students to become competent professionals and keep pace with the technological advancements and the changing scenario of the industries through focused R&D and essential additional training activities.
|BACHELOR IN TECHNOLOGY
Programmes Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- To provide the fundamental knowledge in mathematics, science and engineering concepts for the development of engineering system (Fundamental Knowledge).
- To apply current industry accepted computing practices and emerging technologies to analyze, design, implement, test and verify high quality computing systems and computer based solutions to real world problems (Design and Development).
- To enable the use of appropriate skill sets and its applications towards social impacts of computing technologies in the career related activities (Skill Set).
- To promote team work and effective communication skills to students (Team and Communication Skill).
- To practice professionally and ethically in various positions of industry or government and/or succeed in graduate or other professional schools (Professionalism).
- To enable students to become successful engineers, managers, scientists, researchers, innovators or entrepreneurs meeting global industrial requirements to make substantial contributions to the society (Societal Contribution).
Programme Outcomes (POs)
Program Outcomes are narrower statements that describe what students will be able to do by the time of graduation. These relate to the skills, knowledge, and behaviors that students acquire through the program. The outcomes essentially indicate what a student can do from subject wise knowledge acquired during the programme.
The Program Outcomes (POs) of Undergraduate Computer Science & Engineering Programme are as follows:
- Ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, science and engineering fundamentals appropriate to the discipline.
- Ability to identify, analyse, formulate, and solve computer engineering problems.
- Ability to apply design, implement, and evaluate a computer based system, process, component, or Programme to meet desired needs in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices.
- Ability to design and conduct investigations / experiments as well as analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to use current techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for computing practice. [Ability to here implies that students have actually participated in the performance of a function or action to an extent that demonstrates the potential to properly apply that skill in their profession.]
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and professional responsibilities and apply them in professional engineering practice.
CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE
The department of Computer Science and Engineering over the years of its march has added a number of state of the art laboratories to keep pace with the very best and advancement in the industry. It has laboratories like Internet and Web Technology, Computer Organization, Computer Graphics, Operating Systems, Database Engineering, Computer Networking, Advance Computing, Software Technology, C and OOPs.
LIST OF EXPERIMENTS
||Programming in C
||Data Structure Using in C
||Object Oriented Programming in C++
||Design and Analysis Algorithm
||Data Communication & Computer Network
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
- Publication of Literary Magazine “ VISION” (QUARTELY)
- Publication of Newsletter and Wall Magazine
- Project works supported by different IT industries.
- Voluntary blood donation
- Annual sports & Techno-Cultural Festival SPARKEL
||Name of Guest
||Wireless Ad-Hoc and Sensor Network
||Mr. Susant Panda
CONFERENCES, WORKSHOP & SEMINARS
- National Seminar on “Effect of Embedded System on Emerging Computational and Information Technologies”
- National Seminar on Fractal
- Faculty Development Program by Prof. A.P.Padhi.
- A Workshop on National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) was organized by Gandhi Institute for Education and Technology on 13th July 2013.
- Workshop on Ethical Hacking by IITIANS.
- Workshop on “Data mining” by NITIANS
||In Charge of
||Prof. Nilamadhab Mishra
Prof. Smaranika Mohapatra
||Prof. Amar Nath Singh
Prof. Rakesh Kumar Rath
||Prof. Neelamani Samal
Prof. Subhashree Rath
||Prof. Santosh Kumar Rath
Prof. Snigdha M Mohapatra
||Prof. Snigdha M Mohapatra
Prof. Rakesh kumar Rath
||Prof. Nilamadhab Mishra
||Prof. Neelamani Samal
||Mr. Chinmay Kumar Das
||Prof. Jharana Paikaray
Prof. Nilamadhab Mishra
Prof. Santosh Kumar Rath
Prof. Smaranika Mohapatra
||Prof. Amar Nath Singh
||Prof. Smaranika Mohapatra
Prof. Nilamadhab Mishra