Civil Engineering is the oldest branch in the field of engineering. Civil Engineering is a profession in which a knowledge of mathematical and physical sciences gain by study, experience and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to utilize economically the materials and forces of nature for the development of civilization. Civil Engineers convert complex ideas into realities. They help in making innovative structures in the world.â€Civiliansâ€ are in fact the true nation â€œbuildersâ€ Considered a pioneering branch of engineering, Civil Engineering is the art and science of designing the infrastructure for a society. Civil Engineers are involved in every aspect of community infrastructure, housing and constructions.
Civil Engineers are involved in three areas of activity, namely, Designing, Construction and Maintenance. They contribute to design and construction of bridges, tunnels, roads, railways, airways, dams, pipelines and major buildings. In addition, Civil Engineers safeguard the environment against pollution of air, land and water, by implementing proper treatment techniques and managing the natural resources for future generation. If you are fascinated by the great structures and amazed by the way they are built, then a degree in Civil Engineering is a must for you. A Civil Engineering student at GIET is trained with the skill of building the world with proper attitude, love and enthusiasm and provided with a life style in harmony with environment.
Civil Engineers play a very important role in improving the living standards of a society in the form of structural engineers, transportation engineers, water resource and environmental engineers, hydrologists, geologists and geotechnical experts.
ABOUT THE CIVIL DEPARTMENT
The Department of Civil Engineering was started with intake strength of 60 students in the academic year 2010. Intake was enhanced to 120 in the academic year 2012. Post graduate program in Structural Engineering was started in the academic year 2013. The department is having well qualified, experienced and dedicated faculty and committed supporting staff members in diversified field of specialization. The faculty members are assigned with various theory subjects prepare course plans using the standard format provided by the institute with emphasis on innovative thinking and learning of the students. The instructional or lecture delivery of the faculty will be through a set of Educational Techniques / Tools opted by the faculty. The lectures lay emphasis on Course content, utility value, Real life examples and Latest developments in the field of Civil Engineering. The department provides value added courses like Auto-Cad, Stadd-Pro for students to learn about planning, design and detailing of Civil Engineering structures. The Laboratories of the department are well equipped with advanced and sophisticated instruments, to fully satisfy the training needs of the students and to meet the research and consultancy activities of the department. , The department conducts industrial visits, National seminars, expert talks and advance training programmes in the various fields of civil engineering. Civil Engineering Society has been established so that the students can take part in these association activities to enrich their technical knowledge and also improve their confidence level through addressing, gathering, group discussions. The department offers extensive consultancy services like testing of building materials for many private organizations. The department is having an Alumni Association for the pass out students.
MISSION AND VISION
The Vision of the department is to become a leading centre of excellence in Civil Engineering which will be highly recognized at national and international levels as well as contributing to the technology for the sustainable development of the society.
The Mission of Civil Engineering Department is to produce outstanding Civil Engineering graduates with highest ethics. The department aims in imparting strong basic and applied research for National needs to serve industry, profession and community through novel solutions.
OBJECTIVE AND GOAL
Graduates will attain a record of engagement in civil engineering or other fields that require analytical and/or professional abilities. Graduates will meet or exceed the expectations of employers. Graduates will attain a record of continuing professional development. Our graduates will be prepared to pursue professional licenses. Graduates will attain a record of contributions to their fields, professions, or society.
The goal of the Department of Civil Engineering is to provide its students with a well balanced, high quality education in the field of civil engineering, that will permit them to practice civil engineering at a professional level, that will prepare them for graduate study, that will promote lifelong learning and continuing professional development and that will provide them with the skills and knowledge necessary to develop into active contributors to the economic and social vitality of the region.
The strength of department is attributed to learning oriented pedagogical practices by the experienced and committed faculty from diversified facets of Civil Engineering.
The key strengths of the department are as follows:
- Well equipped and modern laboratories.
- Well qualified and experienced faculty.
- Most of the faculty members presented & published papers at several reputed National, International conferences and journals.
- Excellent teaching learning environment.
- Department conducts industrial visit, site visits for uplifting the practical knowledge of the students.
- Department has good number of Placement record.
- Department is working on outcome base teaching-learning process.
- Department organizes Conferences, workshops and short term courses for knowledge uplift of faculties and students.
Prof. Binay Kumar Panigrahi
I take the privilege to welcome you all to the Department of Civil Engineering at Gandhi Institute for Education and Technology, Bhubaneswar.
A Civil Engineer is responsible for planning and designing a project, constructing the project to the required scale, and maintenance of the product. A Civil Engineer requires not only a high standard of engineering knowledge but also supervisory and administrative skills.
The planning part of their work involves site investigation, feasibility studies, creating solutions to complications that may occur and the actual designing of structures. Civil Engineering involves planning, designing and executing structural works.
The profession deals with a wide variety of engineering tasks including designing, supervision and construction activities of public works like roads, bridges, tunnels, buildings, airports, dams, water works, sewage systems, ports etc. and offers a multitude of challenging career opportunities. Our Civil Engineering department is vibrant, due to our dynamic academic and technical staff members, as well as our bright students.
So Come and join with us and build the Nation!
The department offers an excellent blend of research and practice oriented academic programmes. The programme aims to enable the students to become competent professionals and keep pace with the technological advancements and the changing scenario of the industries through focused R&D and essential additional training activities.
|BACHELOR IN TECHNOLOGY
Programmes Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The undergraduate Civil Engineering program seeks to prepare qualified students for entry-level professional practice in civil engineering and for entrance into appropriate graduate programs. The programme objects are as follows.
- Graduates will be actively engaged in a professional career as a civil engineer or pursuing advanced study.
- Graduates will develop professional skills that prepare them for immediate employment or postgraduate study in Civil Engineering disciplines.
- Graduates are prepared for life-long learning and successful careers as civil engineers.
- Graduates will learn to communicate their ideas to be effective in collaboration with other members of civil engineering teams.
- Graduates will take leadership roles in their communities, as well as in their profession.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
Program Outcomes are narrower statements that describe what students will be able to do by the time of graduation. These relate to the skills, knowledge, and behaviors that students acquire through the program. The outcomes essentially indicate what a student can do from subject wise knowledge acquired during the programme.
The Program Outcomes (POs) of Undergraduate Civil Engineering Programme are as follows:
- Graduates have an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Demonstrate an ability as a member of a team to lead, interact, communicate in a professional manner with other members on the team and contribute discipline-specific input to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Graduates have an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- Graduates have an ability to design and conduct experiments as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- Graduates have an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Graduates have an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams.
- Graduates have an ability to communicate effectively.
- Graduates have an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- Graduates have a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning.
CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE
The department of Civil Engineering over the years of its march has added a number of state of the art laboratories and industrial training programmes to keep pace with the very best and advancement in the industry. It has laboratories like, CAD, Geotechnical Engineering, Surveying, Structural Engg, and Material Testing.
||Name of Guest
||Prof. (Dr.) Radhikesh Prasad Nanda
||Role Of Civil Engineers For Earthquake Disaster Management
CONFERENCES, WORKSHOP & SEMINARS
- Role Of Civil Engineers For Earthquake Disaster Management
- Seminar On Blended Cement By Ultratech
- Seminar By ACC Cement
- IRC Visit
- Workshop on Ethical Hacking by IITIANS.
- Site Visit To Salia Dam
- Industrial Visit to L&T
- Industrial Visit By Faculty Members To Ultratech Cement Plant
||Sustainable Building For Electrical Energy Harvesting
||An Inquest into the Bearing Capacity Problems of Surface Footing on Uniform Sand"
||Vacuum Dewatered Flooring in Durable Construction
||Experimental Behavior of Glass Fiber in Mechanical Properties of Slag Concrete